QHXXB, ASGGVX ASZJ, FVUX Z AVIB SG JDX OVGW,
SGOZIB, JDX QZVFSIQ YIN;
YZIIN JDX FZB JDZJ'Q ASIG JS AX UVGW
SKXI JDX DVFFQ JS QUNX.
Answer to last issue's cryptogram
"Breathes there a man with soul so dead
"The Lay of the Last Minstrel" by Sir Walter Scott
Scotland has had an impact on many of the performing arts. This quiz seeks to find out how much you know about Scotland's influence in such matters!
1. Mendelsohn wrote a famous overture about a Scottish location, as well as a "Scottish Symphony". What is the piece called? Give yourself extra credit if you can name the where specifically is the place depicted in the music.
2. What famous opera which premiered in 1835 takes place in Scotland and has a scene in which the heroine goes "mad"? Give yourself extra credit if you can name the composer, the librettist and the author and title of the book from which the story is taken.
3. George Balanchine, choreographed a ballet which opens with a kilted Scottish regiment on stage. What is the ballet called?
4. What ballet deals with a Scottish man, James, who pursues a supernatural being?
5. A famous Scottish king is immortalized in both a play by Shakespeare and an Opera by Verdi. Who is the king?
ANSWERS TO THE LAST ISSUE'S QUIZ.
What are the four lochs that are found in the Great Glen?
How does the latitude of Edinburgh compare with that of New York?
Which city is further west - London or Edinburgh?
What is the highest peak in Scotland and how high is it?