Can you identify the Scottish authors of the following books?
- Peter Pan
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
- The Wealth of Nations
- Lady of the Lake
- The Sign of the Four
Answers to last issues quiz:
Scotland has had an impact on many of the performing arts. This quiz seeks to find out how much you
know about Scotlands influence in such matters!
- 1. Mendelsohn wrote a famous overture about a Scottish location, as well as a Scottish Symphony. What is the
piece called? Give yourself extra credit if you can name the where specifically is the place depicted in the music.
- ANSWER: Fingals Cave on the island of Staffa
- 2. What famous opera which premiered in 1835 takes place in Scotland and has a scene in which the heroine goes
mad? Give yourself extra credit if you can name the composer, the librettist and the author and title of the book
from which the story is taken.
Lucia di Lammermoor
Composer: Gaetano Donizetti
Based on Sir Walter Scotts novel The Bride of Lammermoor
- 3. George Balanchine, choreographed a ballet which opens with a kilted Scottish regiment on stage. What is the
- ANSWER: Union Jack
- 4. What ballet deals with a Scottish man, James, who pursues a supernatural being?
- ANSWER: La Sylphide
- 5. A famous Scottish king is immortalized in both a play by Shakespeare and an Opera by Verdi. Who is the king?
- Answer: Macbeth
THIS ISSUE'S CRYPOGRAM
SZJIV UFI QEJI MZJ TUMVVO TCO,
JEH UFI HVMRI MZJ BIU AI BEI,
HBMJ JEJ E BERI MZJ HBMJBO JEI,
MZJ E BMO AI JYQZ QEUF M QEBB.
UFET LI UFI RIVTI OYS HVMRI GYV AI:
FIVI FI BEIT QFIVI FI BYZHIJ UY LI
FYAI ET UFI TMEBYV GVYA UFI TIM
MZJ UFI FSZUIV FYAI GVYA UFI FEBB
VYLIVU BYSET TUIRIZTYZ
Answer to the last issues cryptogram
Speed, bonnie boat, like a bird on the wing,
onward, the sailors cry;
Carry the lad thats born to be king
over the hills to Skye.
PAGE THREE TABLE OF CONTENTS