Answers to the games will appear in the next issue
"VIRBDJ, BOR DRZSAQX IL AB, BOR YDABAQX IL AB, BOR WZJAQX AB ICB PICS, BOR PRZDQAQX IL AB ILL KJ ORZDB, HZBBRDW SRRVPJ BI IDSAQZDJ WTIBBAWO VRIVPR RNRDJYORDR." VIRB ZQS SDZHZBAWB PAE PITOORZS AW BOR WTIBW HZGZD.
SOLUTION TO Last Month's' CRYPTOGRAM:
“QS PAA LIC RTPAA VPLNQVR QS LINR CPYLI, DCYIPDR QVAB LIC PVONCVL FYCCJR RWYDPRR LIC ROQLR NV LICNY OQVLYNXWLNQV LQ TPVJNVM.” ZNVRLQV OIWYOINAA, XYNLNRI DYNTC TNVNRLCY.
OF ALL THE SMALL NATIONS OF THIS EARTH PERHAPS ONLY THE ANCIENT GREEKS SURPASS THE SCOTS IN THEIR CONTRIBUTION TO MANKIND WINSTON CHURCHILL BRITISH PRIME MINISTER
Let's find out if you can identify some Scottish films from the short description of the action.
2. This film, named for a small "puffer" deals with an American business man and the Scottish captain of the puffer.
3. A Muslim Scottish-Pakistani man and a Catholic immigrant from Ireland fall in love in this film whose name comes froma Robert Burns song. Can you name the film?
4. Bill Douglas wrote and directed a auto-biological trilogy, which was produced from 1972-1978. Can you name any one of the three films making upthis trilogy?
5. A radio sick jockey winds up in an ice cream war in this Bill Forsythe comedy from 1984. Can you name it?
ANSWERS TO Last Month's' QUIZ:
1. How many million people are listed as being of Scottish ancestry in the 2010 US census? (use numbers, not words)?
ANSWER: 5.4 million
How many vice-presidents (I think those are the ones in charge of vice) were of Scottish or Scotch Irish descent?
3. What person of Scotch Irish descent was the president of the Confederate States of America during the Amreican Civil War?
ANSWER: Jefferson Davis
4. What man of Scots-Irish served as president of Texas between 1836-38 and 1841-44?
ANSWER: Sam Houston
5. Which state has the largest number of people claiming Scottish descent?
Unscramble these words. Last month's was not too hard. Try this one on for size!
ANSWERS TO "THE SCRAMBLER" from Last Issue
Here are some scrambled counties. Can you unscramble them?
Yamor = Moray
Heniscats - Caithness
Mhanlidiot - Midlothian
Altdunhers - Sutherland
Neyork - Orkney
We discovered a very interesting site for those of you who like jigsaw puzzles. It has lots of jigsaw puzzles on it and is called Jigsaw explorer and can be reached by clicking the link to jigsawexplorer.com. In addition to having lots and lots of their own puzzles, they allow people to submit photos to them which they will turn into puzzles for you and put them up on the web. So Each issue now will have a link to a new puzzle that will show something about Scotland.
Here is a view of Inverness Castle seen through the foliage surrounding it.
Use either of the two web sites below and you can have a jigsaw version of this photo.
Be patient. The puzzle make take a few moments to open.
jigsawexplorer.com/online-jigsaw-puzzle - Inverness Castle
TABLE OF CONTENTS