Answers to the games will appear in the next issue
EO ZWKAM'I YV MZW ZYRZBKVUI, EO ZWKAM YI VLM ZWAW,
SOLUTION TO Last Month's' CRYPTOGRAM:
MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES, WHO WAS USUALLY VERY LATE IN THE MORNINGS, SAVE UPON THOSE NOT INFREQUENT OCCASIONS WHEN HE WAS UP ALL NIGHT, WAS SEATED AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE. I STOOD UPON THE HEARTH-RUG AND PICKED UP THE STICK WHICH OUR VISITOR HAD LEFT BEHIND HIM THE NIGHT BEFORE. IT WAS A FINE, THICK PIECE OF WOOD, BULBOUS-HEADED, OF THE SORT WHICH IS KNOWN AS A 'PENANG LAWYER.'
THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE
nota bene: The quiz is impossibly difficult. It is very hard and is just a way to honor THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF SCOTLAND that David Caldwell wrote about in this article.
This month's quiz deals with OLD Scotland - very old. In fact as old as it gets with people. This is a kind of archaeological quiz - well not "kind of" - it is an archaeological quiz. So "dig in" and here we go.
1. One of the oldest sites in Scotland dates back about 12,000 years B.C. and contains flint tools. The place where the site is located in one of the unitary authorities of Scotland. Can you name the site or the authority?
2. Another site, which dates about 10,000 BC has Stone implements of the Ahrensburgian culture - a Paleolithic culture spreading across Northern Europe. Can you name the island on which the implements were found?
3. About 8500 BC Mesolithic people left a good deal of material behind - perhaps as much as 300 tools and several thousand other artifacts. Can you name the village (parish) where these were found?
4. A Mesolithic calendar, possibly the oldest known is located in Scotland. If you are really good you should be able to name the site. If not the shire will do.
5. What maybe the oldest preserved house in Europe is found in Scotland is found on an island. Can you name the island or at least the set of islands to which it belongs?
ANSWERS TO Last Month's' QUIZ:
1. National War Museum
2. National Galleries of Scotland
3. Dumfries Museum
4. Black Watch Museum
5. Maud Railway Museum